Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Next Step


The picture is of the roses and calla lilies that Mrs. Bauer sent to me during my last inpatient stay. They were so beautiful and made my stay here a bit more pleasant. Not to mention I got a million compliments on them! Thanks Mom B - you are an angel.

This week has been mostly non eventful so far. My latest 'fun' side effect of my chemotherapy is that my eyelashes are falling out. Did you know that they really do play an important roll in your life? They keep dust and stuff out of your eyes. Well with the lack of them and the remaining ones falling into my eyes, I look like I've been on a crying jag - and I haven't! So they started some eye drops for me today and so far its been better - so I am not winking at you --- its the lack of eyelashes :)

Well onto the topic of this post. My next step. I found out recently that my next step is to have my stem cells collected. I was surprised that it was happening so soon but at the same time if this is the time and it moves things forward to being in remission quicker... bring it on. So I got the low down on the procedure and I'm a bit more nervous about this then I have been at anything else they've thrown my way.

I will be discharged from the hospital for this cycle tomorrow, Friday. On Monday I start daily Neupogen injections. These are given to stimulate your bone marrow to produce stem cells. Normally I get one injection of a drug like this to stimulate my bone marrow to make cells and I suffer from bone marrow pain for two days. So getting it daily makes me think there is going to be a lot of bone marrow pain in my future and that prospect is daunting.

The next step which starts the following Monday is the actual stem cell collection. Anita will bring me to the clinic at 7:15am and I will have a blood test done to see where my stem cell levels are. If they have achieved the desired level I then get to go to my favorite place in the whole world --- Interventional Radiology -- to have a central line placed. They use this line to collect the stem cells. Its called apheresis, and its a lot like dialysis... the take blood out slow and filter the cells they want out and then give me the rest back... so I get an in and out kind of set up! This goes on daily for up to six days. I won't have to be there that early every day at least but it will be five hour days.

Side effects of that are being really tired and sometimes needed blood and platelet transfusions. I also cant drive that week at all. So I will be asking my friendly chauffeurs for their help. I think my rides in, in the mornings are covered by Anita and Cyndee but there will be afternoons that I will be begging rides home. Thanks everyone for always being so willing to help.

The week after that I will get a PET scan and the doctor will decide at that point if we go ahead with the transplant or if I need some more chemo first. But any way I look at that I'm getting an extra week off between treatments so I'm taking that as a good thing! I have to take the good things where I can.
So there we are people. I'm a wee bit apprehensive about the next steps. I worry, I feel guilty that I'm not more "here" for my family. But we will get throught it and I know that our friends and family are always there for us.

AND as a final note... Hey Sarah... I beat you in a new post girl! Come on... lets see it... post baby post!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Seeester....
Just read the post and I feel your pain..not really totally feelin it but ya get me! Wish I could be closer cause I would love to be your personal chauffeur...I could wear one of the sweet hats and cute jackets...that would be hot
Diana would be so jealous! And I could hold a sign on the floor lookin for ya like your a celeb. man the fun we could have

Ok back to reality I will be there to pick you up tomorrow same place different time same old clothes no hat and I won't have a sign. bah hum bug

Love ya
Kiki

Anonymous said...

Hey Auntie Tisha,

Just wanted to tell you to

"keep on believin"

Love ya
Bertie Bots

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Auntie Tisha!
Love your pic. of Davici pig (did you make it in Paint Shop???!!???!!??!!!) Glad I get to chat with you online, lots-a-fun. Luv ya!
~Sammy

docnita said...

Hey Babe,

Seeing it in writing makes it seem even scarier! But we will get through it together and be all the better for it on the other side. Stay strong. Hannah and I love you. We are looking forward to having you home tomorrow night.

Love,
Anita

Sarah said...

Hey Tish-

I know you will get through this next leg of your journey- look how far you have come. We are all there with ya and will help you make it to the finish line. Just keep on knowing that all will be OK and it will.
And as for my blog...these kids wont give me a break! But dont worry, theres more to come! Theres always more to come!

Encarna said...

It's true Tishy, you've come this far, and we're with you all the way through!

Is it my turn on Scrabulous? Oh, snap!

heather said...

Hey Tishy, I am happy to hear you are home tonite. Rest up, don't go too crazy on guitar hero. I know you will make it through the next phase with flying colors. Love you!Heather