Thursday, January 31, 2008

Beautiful People

Today is day four in my week of treatment. One more day to go then I get a couple of weeks off. This protocol has gone much more smoothly, other then being tired I haven't really had any horrible side effects. My days consist of a trip into New Haven, parking in the Howard Street Garage and the short walk into the Yale Physician's Building. Then there's a bit of a wait in the waiting room and I get moved along the conveyor belt of treatment. First to Pat to have my blood drawn, then to Von to get the an EKG, on to Barb or Wade for my vitals and then lastly to my nurse o' the day for treatment. All in all the process isn't too bad.

This morning as I was autopilot on the way from the car to the elevator in the parking garage I noticed an elderly woman who was struggling getting her husband out of the car and into his wheelchair. She had managed to get him set in the chair but was struggling with her bags and maneuvering the chair. I went over to her and picked up the few things she had just dropped and carried her bags for her to the elevator. The woman was so small she was having trouble pushing the wheelchair over the bumps into the elevator so I helped her and got him all set. I walked with them all the way into the building and got him parked and settled in the waiting room for his doctor's visit before heading over to my own apointment.

The woman thanked me over and over again and patted my cheek as I wished them luck in thier doctor's visit. As I walked away she bent over and yelled into her husband's ear, "see Bill, their are still beautiful people in the world." Even with the headache that I'm fighting and chemo appointment looming over me this brought a big smile to my face. And in turn it made me think that she was right, there are still beautiful people in this world.

I think thier are beautiful people everywhere and you just have to look at the world with an open mind. In my limited view of the world there are quite a few beautiful people floating about. There are the nurses who give you a hug when you walk in the door because they can see that you are having a bad day. There's the wife of one of the patients who helps the nurses by getting everyone blankets and pillows because she needs to help in some way.

There are the beautiful people who have cooked us meals and offered to help. The people who pray for me to get better, people who dont even really know me. There's our angel Peter who cuts our hair and brings a smile to our faces, he's a beautiful person. There's Mom B who sends me cards that she puts a lot of time into, cutting inspirational poems, funny and cute pictures out and pasting them into the cards to bring an added smile. She is most definetly a beautiful person. There's my Mom, who sent me card out of the blue to tell me she's always thinking about me. Mom who would do anything for me and I know it kills her that she cant do more. She is most definetly a beautiful person.

I could go on and on because we have been blessed with beautiful people all around us. My message is this -- take time to look and see the good in the world too. Yes there are a lot of bad people in this world too but let the beauty shine through.

4 comments:

mad knitter said...

I couldn't agree more! I think everything changes in your outlook on the world when you start looking for the good. It makes changes in your life. That woman was right...you are one of those beautiful people, too!

kittymom said...

So glad to hear that this treatment is going so much better for you, and..you get time off for good behavior!! You know Tish, you really made me cry reading this today. So often we don't think about how a small gesture on our part can effect someone else so profoundly. This is exactly why you have so many beautiful 'angels' in your life..you get back what you give ten-fold!!
love and prayers as always!

Anonymous said...

Hey "Beautiful" seester of mine,
That was extremely well written and I couldn't agree more. That woman was right you are a beautiful woman and a great role model. All of the people in your life are a mirror image of what you give to all.

Thanks for being you,
Love ya Kiki

heather said...

Tish, you are so great to always "look on the bright side of life" (did you see monty python?) I'm glad it is working out smoother for you, and hope any side effects are minimal. love you!heather