Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Random Acts of Kindness


I had a rough week after my last treatment (which was my first treatment...) I didn't handle the drugs very well. This week the plan with the doctors and nurses has changed a bit and our approach will be more aggressive. Our hope is that I can skip the reactions and feel well! Hey now that sounds like a plan to me.


Now family and friends have been wonderful, offering help and support. Honestly we couldn't ask for better. It always amazes me when I think how lucky we are, but we are truly blessed. Its nice knowing that if there is a need that it will be taken care of without a second thought and I can concentrate on getting better.


I wanted to share today a random act of kindness with everyone today. Monday afternoon when I went to pick up Hannah I was dragging. There is no other way to put it. I had spent the day at Yale getting IV fluids to rehydrate me and I was just exhausted. I stopped at the front desk to sign Hannah out and asked if they could just send Hannah out to my truck. After a bit of a wait Hannah came out, grumbling... because evidently Suncatchers is the best place in the world to hang out after school... and we were on our way.


Yesterday afternoon I again went to Suncatchers to pick up Hannah, feeling much more human, and there was a note on the sign out sheet that said "take Tish bag". I looked over and there on the table was a brown paper bag with my name on it. In that bag was a freshly baked, still warm, loaf of cinnamon swirl bread. The woman who saw me dragging myself in on Monday had thought about me and baked me bread.


It's these little things that never fail to amaze me. How can you say thank you enough when these things happen. Getting that loaf of bread picked me up and made it easier for me to face heading back to Yale today for the next round of treatment. So I thank you, Chris, for taking that time and thinking about me and baking me one supreme loaf of cinnamon swirl bread!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Tish

Great blog! It will be a good outlet for you to get through all this!
I can not think of a nicer thing to do than to bake someone a loaf of bread! Its amazing how the simple things can mean so much! Keep your chin up and know that we are here for you!
Love, Sarah

Encarna said...

How awesome is that! A Tish bag. Of bread!

mad knitter said...

Great idea! A blog! I really hope that today went better. Keep us posted, and we will keep writing! Let us know if you need anything!

Kelly

JennyB said...

Hey Tish!

Hang in there girl! I know your sense of humor will get you through anything, and you will probably see more random acts of kindness as a result- though really they are not so random, rather very intentional, since you deserve it!

Wish we were closer so we could be of more help, but we are thinking of you!

Love, Jen

Sally said...

Hey Tish

Great blog! I certainly do know your siblings since we grew up next door to each other. Yes, they did torture you alot but you didn't let them get to you. Who could forget that killer hill we walked all the way up for a quick slide down.

Hang in and yes I'll log on frequently to get the updates.
You deserve the best!

Sally

docnita said...

Hey Sweetie,

The blog is lookin' great.

The photo of the bread makes my mouth water and the wonderful comments make my eyes water :)
We are truly blessed with an awesome group of friends.

Hang in there. I love you.

Anita

Sarah said...

That bread is gorgeous!!!!!!