Thursday, January 10, 2008

Knightly Nurses



So the nurses aren't really Knights, and they don't have shining armor, but they do come to the rescue and they try and keep all the bad stuff away. They help you plead your case to your doctors when you need new drugs. And they laugh and cry with you as the days of your chemo treatments go by.


I've been through my fair share of medical treatments as any of you who know me are aware. Over time I have realized that it takes a special person to be a nurse or patient care associate on the oncology unit. Maybe its the level of compassion, taking the time to get to know the patients and to show they truly care. Maybe it has to do with our circumstances as well, its a live or die thing and we as patients come to them to be healed.


So my current team of nurses is stellar. When you can stroll into a chemo ward at 7:20am and see the smiling faces of the two nurses who are covering the early shift. Mind you these nurses are the ones who now have to find a vein and get an IV going. No easy feat. But today with some prayer -- only two tries, much laughter and some high fives the mission was accomplished. So what could have been an awful procedure with tons of pokes and whining and moaning, was actually in a scary way-- enjoyable.


They're an attractive bunch don't you think? Sunshine, LA, Diane... just to name a few... and there's Wade the PCA who keeps us going with odd facts and stories. I cant say that I'm happy I have cancer, I cant say that I'm happy I have to have chemo. But I can say that I'm happy that I get to come to Yale and have my chemo here with these amazing people.

All my thanks and more to the angels who are making this experience just a wee bit more enjoyable.

14 comments:

docnita said...

I think we need to bake those nurses somethin' special...kind of pay it forward from the bread!

I'm glad you have them on your side.

Anita

kittymom said...

Hi Tish,
Anita sent me the link to your blog..I'm so glad she did. I can't believe how strong your sense of humor is shining through all this miserableness you're going through! Hope you feel all the good vibes and positive thoughts being sent your way - you go girl!!
love and prayers-
Dianne & the Guilford "kitty herd"

Sally said...

Hi Tish,
I'm glad to hear how wonderful the nurses are. They certainly can make a big difference in your day.
I'm glad to read your update and hope tomorrow will be a better day for you.
I'm keeping you in my prayers.
Hang in there! Think of how the cats do it so easily
Sally

Liann said...

Hi Tish,
It's your cousin Liann here (one of the twins). Your blog is fabulous, keep typing because I'm going to be a faithful reader!!
The Pelletier's are rooting for you!!

xoxoxo

Nylsoj said...

Hi Tish, I'm impressed (and glad for you) that you were able to find something to be grateful for today. I hope this week the recovery time is faster and easier. I'm thinking of you.

Love Jos

mad knitter said...

Hey! That's a great tribute to the unsung heroes of medical care!! I'm glad you are having such a good experience there. I've been thinking of you this week, wondering how this treatment went and how you are feeling. Let us know if you need anything!

Sarah said...

Tish-
I am impressed that you are finding the good that is coming out of all of this. That says a lot about you. And it will be what gets you through all of this too.
I can remember feeling the same way about the nurses when I delivered each of the boys. It takes a special person. And boy do they earn their money!
Know that you are always in our thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

Hey Seeester,

I love your blog. I will now try to read first and then ask questions later to reduce my redundancy. (Scrabble word huh)Im waiting patiently for the nauseau to pass so that you can play a round.

Keep your head out of the toilet and keep smilin!

Love ya
Kiki

sunshine said...

Hey Tish,
It's one of your "Knightly Nurses"
Love your blog, thanks for sharing it with me. I also love the pic of us.. but maybe you need a more recent one. Glad we make your day tolerable, it's patients like you that keep us smiling.
Hope your feeling okay this week and we didn't beat you up too much.
See you next week
Sunshine

tonystewart said...

Heay Girl..it's your "old" neighbor Sue Lumbra, got link from Mrs. Baurer sent from your mom. Just wanted you to know that my thoughts & prayers have been with you, Anita & Hannana for the last few years (sorry for spelling, Mills graduate!!) I know what you & your loved ones are going thru, been there with Brittany (Mary's daughter & my Dad (not the one you know)I was thankful & feel lucky that I could be there for them & I was actually inspired to go to medical school so I could work in pediatric oncology (not working it though)it takes a special person to go thru it & stand by the one you love. I think about you often & remember the good 'ol days when you & Mary used to make me eat dog bisquits (thanx), the rides in the 'stang to school, my 1st job at the vets...thank you fro some great times!!! I am proud that you are soo strong & soo happy that you have found that special love in your life that we all need, especially at times like this. I would love to get together someday soon & have a great laugh :) Take care, stay strong & remember we all love you!!! Sue

Unknown said...

Ok, now wait a minute, who gave you permission to put my man up on your blog???? hmmmmmm??? LOL!!!!! I just showed him the pic and he just sat that shaking his head.....Isn't he pretty??? I love you baby girl and I know you are as strong as those wonderful nurses are.....

Liann said...

Hi Tish,
My mom and dad want to send their love and prayers to you. Like I promised, we are all rooting for you.

Liann & Liette

The Original Test Dummy said...

Thanks everyone! I am having a bit of a rough road, but your well wishes help... new post soon.
Tisha

Lauren said...

Hi Tish,
It is Lauren, Tim and Gracie sending you love, strength and prayers.
Hope today is better than yesterday and tomorrow even better than today.
Yeah for those nurses!